Baby Eli’Jah

Apr 10, 2010 |
Home Birth Stories,  |
Kellie Moeller, CNM |

I would like to first start this story off by saying this was my third birth and I thought that I pretty much knew what the signs of my labor were going to be, but I couldn’t have been more wrong.

Well, I remember waking up on the morning of April 1, 2010 and feeling a bit of pain in my lower back. I just figured that the pain was there because I’d kicked the pillow from between my legs and had rolled over onto my back. So I just asked my husband to fix a bowl of cereal for me, I ate that and went back to bed. I got up later at about 8 o’clock or 8:30 and my back just would not let up. I figured it was due to me having to use the bathroom so after going in there and sitting for a while, I was able to go so I figured that was that. However, the pain got worse and I just sat down on the bed and rubbed my back and thought to myself “what the doodle is going on with my back. This sucks!” I called my hubby and told him I wanted him to come home because my back was hurting me and I also told him I was about to call Kellie so that she could come and check me out. I called my sister next and told her to come because my back was hurting really bad and she told me she was on the way. THEN, I called Kellie and told her about my back pain and she told me that she would come and check me out. After these phone calls the pain got worse in my back and I just got on all fours and the floor and rocked my hips. It felt better but the pain just continued to grow, but I still didn’t realize what was happening. The funniest thing about this is that I was watching Birth Day on TV and it was showing stories of women giving birth. To put the icing on the cake Pregnancy for Dummies had just gone off and they had shown the segment on going into labor and giving birth.
There was a woman on Birth Day that had just gotten an epidural and she was whining about feeling pressure. I just remember getting so mad at her and saying “pressure is all you feel!? Oh shut up!” and with that I cut the TV off. I noticed I hadn’t eaten and that I wasn’t even hungry so I stood up to go and get some breakfast, and I felt the baby slide down and the urge to push. I was like “OH MY GOSH! IM HOME ALONE AND IN LABOR!

Kellie had called me back and I told her I was defiantly in labor and she was indeed on the way at this point. BUT she was coming from the Southside of Houston and I stay a good 25 to 30 minutes away from there. I was screaming on the phone because now the pain in my back was intense and I was fighting the urge to push, but mostly I was afraid. I was home alone and I didn’t want to deliver the baby by myself. Kellie never got off the phone with me and darn it I love her for that! I struggled down the stairs to unlock the door. Stairs are not a laboring woman’s friend let me tell ya! I made it to the door unlocked it and had to lean against the wall to keep from dropping to the ground from the contractions I was having. Going up the stairs proved to be both a challenge and painful but I made it. I cut the water on in the tub as Kellie asked and I got in and lay on my side with a pillow underneath me. Kellie told me to breath in my nose and out my mouth, making a sound like a horse. I did this and it helped BIG time. I heard the front door open and my sister came running up the stairs and into my bathroom. As she entered the door she turned so pale. I wanted to laugh at her so bad but I was trying to focus on not pushing. She was moving so fast because she was freaked out.
I just told her to sit down and hold my hand and she did. Kellie talked to her and asked her if she saw anything and rather reluctantly she looked and said no. I can’t tell you how much time passed; I honestly had not perception of time. Things were going so fast. My husband showed up and held my hand, giving my sister a much needed break. Kellie was still in traffic and she did not want me to push, heck I didn’t want to push either lol! Finally Kellie came and I was happy to see her! With her calm voice along with my hubby’s calm voice I was able to relax. I didn’t scream or cry, I just whispered. I pushed only at the beginning of the contractions and breathed through the rest of it. 20 minutes later Eli’Jah was born. And I was more than overjoyed. I will never forget that experience ever! I THOUGHT I knew what to expect but I didn’t. This was definitely one for my records! Home birthing is great and I would do it all over again!

Original Publish Date: April 10, 2010

Blog Posted: Apr 10, 2010
Posted by: Kellie Moeller, CNM
HomeBirth Experience Inc.
(281) 309-8030

Related Photos

2010 Baby Eli’Jah